Streets Alive! Ithaca is an afternoon of streets closed to cars and open to people. The main focus of the event is making space to Bike, Walk, Roll and Move.
The schedule and map for Sunday May 4 from 1-5pm will be available here at this page in Spring 2014.
Along the Route: Unannounced and spontaneous activity. Please keep at least ½ the street clear for biking, walking, rolling.
There are also activities at the four ends of the route.
At Southside Community Center:
- RIBs quick bike repair clinic
- Talk Transportation with elected officials
- Congo Square Market Food Vendors and LIVE MUSIC
- Tours of Southside Community Center from 1:30-3pm
- The special Dr. Nia Harlem Shake Off at 2:30pm
- Information Table and Volunteer Training
At the south end of Plain Street by Baker Park:
- Ithaca Carshare Free Ice Cream Giveaway
- Finger Lakes Fitness Center Dancing in the Streets Zumba & Dance Fitness
At the west end of Clinton Street by Corn Street:
- Way2Go Bike Rodeo and Helmet Giveaway with Cornell Bike Police
- TCAT try out the bike on bus rack
- Free Popcorn with Way2Go
At the east end of Clinton Street by Albany Street:
- Street Games hosted by numerous community organizations
- Greenstar Smoothie Bike
- Free Watermelon with Get Your Greenback Tompkins
PLUS: On/Near the Titus/Plain Bridge:
- Waltzing Across The Bridge with Gail Blake, Tim Ball & Andrea Katz 1:30-3pm
- Japanese Taiko Drumming with Cornell’s Yamatai at 3pm
At the intersection of Clinton & Plain, help the Ithaca Public Art Commission draw a gigantic pavement mural, a.k.a. ‘intersection repair’.
Bathrooms are available in Southside Community Center.
Event ends at 4 pm sharp and the streets reopen to car traffic. Please clear the street accordingly.
A note about Activity Along the Route
This is your street. Enjoy it. If you wish to add an activity, you can. Pick a site on a part of the street, chalk your space and have fun. Hacky sac, hula hooping, even street hockey. Just make sure to leave more than 1/2 the street for traffic flow – cyclists, walkers, strollers, etc. If you are planning in advance, you can let people know on Facebook.